Tuesday, December 16, 2008

That Popping Sound is Exploding Eggs

A few years ago I got the Back to Basics Egg and Muffin Toaster for Christmas. This was the perfect gift for me as I love egg muffin sandwiches for breakfast. I also love to eat hard boiled eggs for a quick breakfast or snack, and this handy little toaster hard boiled eggs with little mess or fuss.

You might think that hard boiling eggs normally is accompanied by little mess or fuss. Well, at my house, that task is tied with an absentmindedness unparalleled by any other activity. I don't know what it is, but as soon as I put those eggs on the stove and leave the room, I immediately forget of their existence. Until the popping sound and telltale smell of something burning.

So I was very sad when the egg element of my Egg and Muffin Toaster broke. I went on some forums and found this to be a common occurrence. I thought that, even though I used the egg element of the toaster often, the toaster portion worked fine so I would not replace the Egg and Muffin Toaster with another one when forums indicated it would likely just break again in a couple of years. Maybe I should rethink that?




Who knew exploding eggs could travel 15 feet?

14 comments:

Lady Liberal said...

Sadly enough, I am well versed in the behavior of over-cooked eggs. Next time, put a lid on because if you cook them long enough, boys will have a very fine new SuperBall.

Damama T said...

Oh I cannot count the number of times I've done that! LOL! And I feel like an idiot every time (since the first time) because I even go to the effort of setting the timer... and then promptly go to the other part of the house and don't hear it. LOL! Lady LIberal is right - If they don't pop, they will bounce!

Anonymous said...

now i'm hungry..

2847 hits today I'm thinking..LOVE LOVE the picture you gave Bossy..where was that taken?

Anonymous said...

Hi, visiting via Bossy today. I'm outnumbered too...three sons and a husband. Solidarity, sister!

Anonymous said...

Came here from Bossy. . .

Funny, it's the toast part I can never get right. Get one of those Cuisinart egg poachers. It's all automatic and you can dial your preference (hard, soft, medium). Works every time and TURNS ITSELF OFF!

BusyDad said...

Cool! How do you do this again? ;) Reminds me of the time my great-uncle tried to microwave an egg. When the timer went off, he opened the door, upon which the egg exploded in his face. He was an old guy with tons of whiskers, each of which had a nice piece of yolk stuck to it.

Unknown said...

15 FEET!! That is some serious distance!! How loud did you scream when they exploded?

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Never had that happen here, but I LOVE SMOKING LOON wines.

KEEP BELIEVING

Anonymous said...

I can never remember how to make hard boiled eggs...years of not eating eggs will do that. So I either get my husband to do it, or I embarrass myself by looking it up in a cookbook.
Um, yeah. Either get a new machine or just scramble 'em in the microwave. One minute and you're golden.

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

NO WAY!

That is so something that would happen to me!

You may have to add 'new pot' to your Christmas list. *wink*

3boys247 said...

I wish I could say this has happened to me once....but it has happened about 5 times! The last time my 10 year old said, MOM, The kitchen is filled with smoke.

I have a sign in the kitchen "Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off."

Maybe we could get a discount if we each both the egg muffin maker.

Glennis said...

Impressive!

Visiting here from Bossy - love the shark picture!

Robin said...

Wow that is amazing! It reminds me of the time in college when we decided what happens to toast left in the toaster after it begins to smoke. It burst into flames!! (It was finals week, somehow it made sense.)

OhCaptain said...

The last time I made hard boiled eggs I used a stock pot. It takes a while to boil off the much water, usually enough to get you to the next meal time.

Of course when I was college age at home with my parents, I threw a frozen pizza in the oven after returning from an evening out with the guys (think not sober). My dad wakes me up to ask me how well done I want that pizza. 6 hours is apparently plenty of time in an oven.