Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Star Light, Star Bright

My boys are big on wishes. They love to wish on stars, on coins in the fountain, on eyelashes and whatever other wish superstition they can come up with. And, like most children, they are convinced that their wishes will come true. There's the rub.

Luke wished on a star a couple of nights ago. He said he couldn’t tell me what he wished for or it wouldn’t come true. Which, by the way, I think is the method some parent came up with years ago as a way to keep from being the bad guy because the parent knew that kids can’t keep secrets. As in, “I wished on that star for a pony.” “Well, honey, you told me the wish so now it won’t come true.” And now I won’t have to buy you a pony.

Anyway, back on point, Luke decided he could tell me his wish.

Luke: I wished for a snake.

Me: Oh, that’s nice.

Luke (being the smart boy that he is, he knows that the star will need a little help getting him his snake): “So can I get one.” I hate Jiminy Cricket.

Me: I don’t think so, sweetie.

Luke: Wail, wail, wail, cry, cry, cry.

Me (when wailing subsided): Do you know what snakes eat? They eat mice. And you love mice. You would be really sad if you had to go to the pet store to buy mice only to bring them home and feed them to the snake.

Luke: I don’t want a snake anymore. Whew!

Luke: How about a bird? Ahh, jeez.

Me: Well, birds poop everywhere.

Luke: What about a puppy?

Me: I don’t think Shasta would appreciate that. She’s really old and a puppy will want to play with her and it would make her mad and she wouldn’t like the puppy and wouldn’t like us for bringing a puppy home.

Jack: I know what she feels like.

Me: What do you mean?

Jack: I’m older and Luke’s like a little puppy and sometimes he just bothers me.

Luke: Ruff, ruff.

Jack: Hey, little puppy. (Giggling) Stop trying to lick me little puppy. (Petting Luke on the head) Good little puppy.

Luke: Ruff, ruff. Crisis averted.

3 comments:

Loth said...

Aww, cute. My two do the "pretend puppy" thing too. But I recently twigged it was mostly so they could feed each other cookies as "dog biscuits".

Kellan said...

That was so cute! They all want ponies, don't they? I did too, when I was a kid. I think it's funny he wanted a snake - that'd almost be as cool (with the other kids) as a pony. Cute story - we too, wish on shooting stars - take care. Kellan

Unknown said...

Good work on getting out of the snake thing. I am going to have to remember that one.

My kids always wish on the first star they see. It usually is an airplane but they don't need to know that. =)

Christina